Friday, July 19, 2013

Feature Friday - TheGoodOleDays


At TheGoodOleDays you'll find barbecue and retro-inspired aprons, oven mitts, pillow covers, and cloth napkins. Let's meet Lisa! 

1) How did you start creating? 
My mom taught me the basics of sewing, so I've always known how, but as far as my Etsy shop goes a lot of what I do just comes from trial and error. If I get a request for a custom order for something I've never made before or I decide to add something new to my selection then I'll use a pattern and adapt it, or create a new pattern. Lola, my mannequin, is a great assistant.

2) What is your favorite thing about creating? 
Teaching myself how to make new items, especially for custom orders. I see it as a challenge and then when I figure it out I feel a great sense of accomplishment.

3) Where do you find your inspiration? 
From the fabric store, when I walk around and see all the fabric choices. Sometimes I'll buy fabric, but not use it for a while, then out of the blue I'll know exactly what to do with it, and its usually something I don't already make but feel driven to create.

4) Tell us about what you sell. 
I'm pretty practical, so most of what I make is along those lines; cloth napkins, aprons, oven mitts. I'm just starting to venture out to include women's clothing, retro skirts and dresses, which I'm pretty excited about.

5) How did your shop get it's name? 
My mother's last name was Good, so my shop is an homage to a simpler time and to my mother.

6) Do you have any advice for other sellers? 
Don't give up. Join a team and learn from their experiences. Be willing to change what you're doing if what you're doing isn't working. Be willing and ready to put in a lot of work; nobody cares more than you do if your business is successful or not.

7) How do you balance your Etsy shop, your children, and your everyday schedule? 
I do most of my shop-type work when the boys are at school, which is great, because I like it quiet when I work. Nights are mostly family time. I'd like to have a set schedule, but things always come up. I find it's better to be flexible and go with the flow.

8) Where else can we find you? 



Thanks Lisa!


That concludes our featured seller for this Friday! Make sure to Follow OwnSomethingAwesome on Facebook or Twitter to stay up-to-date and see when there is a new blog post! And feel free to leave a comment on the shops!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...