Friday, August 2, 2013

Feature Friday - thegiftgarden!


Bags, Totes, Purses, Key chains  Lanyards, and Items for your Home. All of these can be found in our Featured Seller's shop this week! Let's meet Michelle from thegiftgarden!



1) How did you start creating?
I remember my mom sewing when I was little and she taught me how to make small pillows and scrunchies. Later, in high school, I took a sewing class but did not do anything else with it. A couple of years ago, I got a sewing machine for Christmas and started tinkering around with it. I decided to start selling as a way to make a little extra money, but more because I just love making things! 

2) What is your favorite thing about creating? 
I like watching how things come together as it is created. I usually have an idea of what fabrics I am going to use and how I want to incorporate them before I even start. Often, the creation changes as I go. For me, I usually really enjoy the process of it all.

3) Where do you find your inspiration? 
All around! I usually start with one thing-a color combo, a holiday, a quilt block etc. I will roll it around in my mind until I come up with a more solid idea and will use quilting books and magazines to help work out hte technical details.

4) Tell us about what you sell. 
I sell sewn and crocheted items. So far, they seem to mostly be for the kitchen and dining area but I plan on expanding the types of items I sell. My sewing is a combination of machine and hand sewing-it just depends on the project and my mood. I work with mostly cotton fabrics and this year-I am hoping to use what I have on hand instead of constantly finding an excuse to buy more fabric :)
I crochet with cotton and acrylic-depending on what I am making. My favorite crochet item so far is the snakes I have made. I am terrified of real ones but these guys are so stinkin cute to me.

5) How did your shop get it's name? 
Well, I love gardening (even though I need a lot of work at it) and I wanted a name that portrayed a wide range of items. Originally, I wanted to make more than just sewn and crochet items but quickly found out that those two were more than enough for me!

6) Do you have any advice for other sellers?
Be patient and do it because you love it. If it stops being fun, take a break. 

7) How do you balance your Etsy shop, your children, and your everyday schedule?
My kids definitely take up the majority of my time. I have 2 boys (a soon to be 5 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old) and they are my priority. I try to keep up with the housework but sometimes can't help but sneak off to get a little crafting done. I usually try to do the computer oriented stuff first thing in the morning, either before they get up or right after they get up. The actual sewing and crochet I do at "nap time" (in quotes because that does not always happen lol) and at night after the boys go to bed-if I am not too tired. I thought by staying home I would have a little more time but no such luck! :)

8) Where else can we find you?
I am trying to do more with my Facebook page and to blog more regularly so would love some new visitors! :) I have a twitter but haven't really gotten into it.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/The-Gift-Garden/134051563279751
Blog: thegiftgarden.blogspot.com/




Thanks Michelle! 


That concludes our featured seller for this Friday! Make sure to Follow OwnSomethingAwesome on Facebook or Twitter to stay up-to-date and see when there is a new blog post! And feel free to leave a comment on the shops!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...